What COVID19 Means for Business

COVID Relief Funding Opportunities

At this time, there are funding opportunities available for local businesses that are continuing to
experience the impact of the pandemic. Please check out the ongoing opportunities below.

City of Chino - CDBG-CV Microenterprise Business Grant Program (Local)


Small Business Administration - Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) - (Federal)

  • Funded by the United States Treasury, the Paycheck Protection Program(link) is designed to assist businesses with loans to keep their workforce employed during the COVID-19 pandemic.


As a reminder, the following programs are NOT currently accepting applications but we recommend checking back for updates:

  • San Bernardino County - COVID Compliant Business Partnership Program
  • State of California - Small Business COVID-19 Relief Grant Program

City of Chino:

The City of Chino values its businesses and is making every effort to ensure that those businesses can sustain the challenging times created by the Coronavirus (COVID-19). City staff will continue to identify opportunities that may provide aid and help weather the challenges affecting business operations.

Employers can reach out to the Economic Development Division (Link) to share your concerns and learn more about existing programs that can assist you during this time.

Additional Sources 

City of Chino Small Business Assistance information (link)

County of San Bernardino Information (link)

State of California Information (link)


If you have additional questions or require further assistance, please call 909-334-3335.

Emergency Planning Checklist

Use the CDC Emergency Planning Checklist to make sure your business is ready for potential disruptions.

Resources for Employers

The California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) provides many services to employers affected by COVID-19. For the most up-to-date state resources for businesses, visit the GO-BIZ resource page.

***There are alternatives to layoffs that can help employers keep their employees when there is a lack of work, or during financial hardship.***


Employers may be able to avert layoffs or work reduction by offering flexibility in work location and hours through telecommuting. The U.S. General Services Administration website provides an array of resources to help guide employers in offering and managing telecommuting or remote work. For more information, visit Resources for Managing Teleworkers. 

Partial Claims

Partial claims are for employees whose employers want to keep them but have temporarily laid them off or reduced their hours.

A partial Unemployment Insurance claim can be used for any claimant who works less than their normal full-time hours, and whose employers want to keep them. For more information, visit Partial Claims. 

Work Sharing Program

Employers can apply for the Work Sharing Program if they are looking for alternatives to layoffs due to reduced production, services, or other conditions. This program helps you keep your trained employees so that when business conditions improve, you can avoid the expense of recruiting, hiring, and training new employees, and save your employees the hardship of becoming fully unemployed. For more information, visit Work Sharing Programs.

Resources for Employees

The CA Employment Development Division provides a variety of support services to employees affected by COVID-19 in California. For the most up-to-date information, visit CA EDD’s Resource Page. 

Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA or Act)

Have you lost your job as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic? OnwardCA can help you find resources and jobs to get you back on your feet. Visit OnwardCA for more information.

Reduced Work Hours

If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance Claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own.

If you are working fewer hours because your children’s school is closed and you need to be there for them, you may apply for unemployment insurance. There is no medical certification needed. 

Sick or Quarantined Workers

If you’re unable to work due to having or being exposed to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file for a Disability Insurance Claim. DI provides short-term benefit payments to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy.


If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Paid Family Leave Claim. PFL provides up to six weeks of benefit payments.

If you are working fewer hours because your children’s school is closed and you need to be there for them, you may apply for unemployment insurance. There is no medical certification needed. 

Health Care Coverage

Employers are required to maintain health care benefits if you take leave to care for yourself or your dependents under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or California Family Rights Act (CFRA). You should consult with your employer or union representative regarding health care coverage during a period of work reduction to see what additional benefits are available to you along with your existing coverage.

For those experiencing job loss, federal law generally requires employers to offer employees and their family’s temporary extension of health care coverage, also known as COBRA. You may consult with your employer regarding COBRA enrollment. Job loss may be a qualifying life event for enrollment in Covered California, which provides health care coverage to California residents at affordable and subsidized rates.

ABC Regulatory Relief

The Alcohol and Beverage Control Board has loosened up its guidelines with regards to purchasing alcohol to go from eating establishments. Please see point number 5 on the ABC Regulatory Relief Page on the ABC website.